Cerebral Gibberish

What's on my mind, might just blow yours.

Adak Adventure: Day 3

Posted by heymoe on August 8th, 2007

8/7/2007: Day 3
Tuesday was a calm day unlike Monday where we were running around trying to get everything rescheduled and what not. The weather was also nicer with few clouds unlike the very overcast Monday. It was also warmer then normal, highs of the low to mid 70’s but it did cool down quickly once the sun started to set.

Chris and I started the day off with breakfast at which was not nearly as nice as the breakfast spread that the previous hotel had but it hit the spot. We then headed over to the local office to make use of their Internet to check our email and other work related activities. Nothing really not worthy to talk about, it’s just work. Once the work was done we hopped into the car and went to Earthquake Park which was a short drive from the hotel. Alaska was hit by a massive earthquake in 1964 and this park is a reminder of the damage that shook the area. A little further up the road from Earthquake Park was Woronzof Point which over looks Cook Inlet and give you a distant view of Mt. McKinley. From there we headed south this time along the Seaward Highway toward Whittier / Seaward. This highway runs along the base of Chugach Mountains and the shore of Turnagain Arm and the view was breath taking with plenty of areas to pull over and take pictures. It’s listed as being one of the Top 10 most scenic drives in the US.

The first big photo op was at Beluga Point. This spot had two big rock jut outs into the sea that we climbed on looking for the perfect spot to take pictures. We basically did some rock climbing to get on top of the big rocks which provided a spectacular view with lots of wind. Next stop was Bird Creek which was a big attraction for fishermen & fisherwomen. There must have been 50 or more people along the creek fishing and it looked like everyone was catching something. It was an impressive site to see. Maybe next time I’m here I’ll have to give fishing a shot. Next stop we made was at Bird Point, which unlike Beluga Point, had side walks leading out to a large observation deck that over looked the water with the mountains as a back drop. From there we headed to Portage Glacier. This time we got a lot closer to the glacier then we did to the Knik glacier on Monday but not close enough so we could touch it. It also seems to be pretty small compared to some of the pictures of glaciers I’ve seen and was not even coming all the way down the mountain to the lake below. The water in the lake was, you guessed it, very cold. On the way back to Anchorage we stopped at a small dinner in Girdwood for dinner and once again at Beluga Point to take more pictures from the other big rock while the sun was setting (at 10:30pm) hehe. We were going to stop back by Woronzof Point to catch the sunset but I had to get back to the hotel to do some work.

We got back to the hotel at around 11pm just in time for me to go back to work. Justin, working from Raleigh, and I were migration more customers to our new mail cluster. I was a little worried that I would not find a stable Internet connections since previous attempts at our current hotel failed. I ended up unplugging on of the hotels computers used for guest access and was Justin and I finish the migration around 2am Anchorage time (6am Eastern)

Stay tuned for Day 4

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>